Prone to Wander

A catholic Christian's repository of hints, allegations, and things probably better left unsaid.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Advent and Christmas: Repentance and Joy

Well, I didn't get these out weekly, as I'd hoped, but at least I'm semi-regular on here again. What follows is a brief meditation from the Episcopal Diocese of Washington's online Advent Calendar, and then my own reflections on the rest of Advent and Christmas.

"When I say my prayers now, I no longer ask for God to be present. I take that presence for granted. Jesus promised us that his Advocate would remain with us, and I believe his words. The more I count on that presence, the more that I feel it anchoring my entire life.

Perhaps the greatest theologians of our day are quantum physicists. As they uncover new dimensions in time and space, the mysteries of the Divine seem more possible, more real. It may be that God indeed exists in a dimension that is far beyond our understanding. It may be that God is with us on levels far beyond our understanding.
But we still want to see Jesus. We want to touch him, to see him smile. And that is why we wait. We wait to experience Christ with us physically, as Jesus once was. I find that the more I acknowledge my hunger for Christ's bodily presence with me, the more I realize my love for God.

The reunion between Christ and his Church will be one to behold. I myself can't wait to see it."

- From Between Two Worlds: Daily Readings for Advent by Kate Moorehead (Cowley Publications, 2003).

The scripture readings for Advent continue in their intensity, and I’m finally buying into the whole idea of Advent as a penitential season, second in solemnity only to Lent. Isaiah’s prophecies of Emmanuel and Bethlehem and those walking in darkness seeing a great light are present, and give hope as intended, but even these are smack dab in the middle of passages of searing judgment and apocalyptic fury. Last Sunday, Advent III, was the Sunday of Joy, or Rose Sunday, and it provided some relief with readings from Philippians and my favorite prophetic reading, Zephaniah 3:12-20. But then there was the Gospel reading, and John the Baptist asking the “brood of vipers” who had warned them to flee the coming judgment. The Baptist remains central throughout Advent, ranting and raving and preaching a defiant message of repentance.

Why is repentance so vital to Christmas? At Easter, and during Lent, it seems to make more sense to place such an emphasis on penitence. But why Christmas? Isn’t Christmas the feast of the Nativity, when we commemorate incarnation, God coming among us? Isn’t it when we sing warm, joyful songs to “little Lord Baby Jesus, learnin’ your shapes and colors,” as Ricky Bobby would put it? Isn’t it a time to go home, to be with family, to celebrate God’s continued presence in our midst? Of course it is, and for all this penitence is absolutely vital. It’s not a time to beat ourselves up over sin and shortcoming, but it is a time to acknowledge our failure to love and be loved perfectly. That’s what John the Baptist railed against, by the way. He knew that for God’s Kingdom to break through, the human kingdom of Israel, and by extension, the occupying Roman Empire, had to learn to live lives of love in keeping with repentance. John’s message was ultimately rejected, of course, but one came after him. This One put an authentic love-filled life on display for all to see. He was rejected by his people as well, but being God, he accomplished his purpose anyway and promised to return.

Now, especially during Advent, those of us who wear his name await his coming, both the first and final coming, living already in his “now and not yet” kingdom. Isaiah tells us, “For all this, his anger has not turned away; his hand is stretched out still.” Someday, all will understand that God’s anger doesn’t burn against individual hedonists or heretics, but against entire communities and nations who have no love for their fellow image-bearers. The difficult message of Advent is that true joy and peace can be ours, but that God remains angry and heartbroken over his children’s wars with and neglect of each other. He has come among us, he has seen our divisive brokenness firsthand, and in love he prolongs his delay in returning, giving us every chance to repent and live in newness of life.

Please enjoy your Christmas; I know I will. God has gifted me with a wonderful family and amazing friends, and I love you all.

May the blessings of God; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, be with us now as we celebrate the new life possible through Christ and await his coming, now and always.

Amen.

1 Comments:

At 3:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, there is a comparative power that is
also used in the caption are important for those who want to have a
valid code for Pagerank. For example, you're in operation a pharmacy business, so consider a few short videos from satisfied customers.

Review my webpage: google search engine ranking

 

Post a Comment

<< Home