Prone to Wander

A catholic Christian's repository of hints, allegations, and things probably better left unsaid.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Further Thoughts on Incarnation

Looking back at my Advent reflections, I notice that I didn’t spend as much time as I’d intended “fleshing out” (pun intended?) the ramifications of Christian practice centered on the Incarnation, and beyond that and more importantly, how incarnational thinking plays out in the practical concerns of daily life. I’ll attempt to do so now.

Not only is the Incarnation of Jesus Christ the vehicle through which the promise of salvation and the hope of resurrection become possible; it also represents God’s intention to redeem all aspects of life, the physical as well as the metaphysical. And this is not some future happening, delayed indefinitely until the new heaven and the new earth arrive. The Incarnation is now, it is the proclamation to the shepherds, “Peace to those on whom God’s favor rests.” Christ tells us that God’s favor rests with all. This is the elusive good news that the church has been given.

So, what are the implications? If, through incarnation, God has reclaimed the physical reality of nature, then Paul’s statement that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit carries new weight. It’s not just about taking care of our bodies; it’s a powerful reminder that divinity has worn humanity, has made its dwelling in our very midst as one of us, and will do so again. Our bodies are temples because can again feel the presence of God through the Holy Spirit in a way previously only available to our earliest ancestors. The Nativity made this possible.

I was reminded, while spending Christmas Day with my family, the simple power of being in the presence of parents, of those directly responsible for my existence. I have a good relationship with my parents, but I think I understand the anguish of those who don’t. And my fellowship with my parents is magnified by our common hope in Christ. We often don’t see eye to eye on specific matters of living out that hope, but we don’t deny that connection. It’s part of who we are as a family, my brother included. They’re the reason I don’t become bitter at the holidays, and their guidance is responsible for my commitment to live as a disciple of Jesus, and to encourage my own family now to do the same. And, whether they see this as a good thing or not (although I think they probably do), they’re also the main reason I’ve remained as open-minded to ideas old and new about what it means to be part of the world’s most dysfunctional family, the church. Whenever I can, I thank them for shaping me as best they can into a mature follower of Christ. I hope that this post serves that purpose as well.

Happy fourth day of Christmas, almost fifth. Enjoy your calling birds and golden rings…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home